Monday, January 14, 2008

Tuesday's Post on Monday Night!

My plans tomorrow will limit my time at the computer, so I am posting tomorrow's post this evening. I wanted to show you what I have been up to in my studio as of late. I was encouraged with the comments from the last WIP I shared that I went a bit further and tried another one with the rice paper, tearing it, etc. Again, this one is complete; however this is what it looks like so far:






I used a new product for me called Micasceous Iron Oxide from Golden. That it is under the flower shapes. If you have never used it, give it a try...rather like painting on that wet sandpaper product. Again, I just tore the rice paper away where it wasn't stuck very well.




I have also prepared another canvas, but the rice paper is really on there and I like the way it has turned out. So I just might leave it the way it is. The other things I may do is layer this one rather than go below the surface as I have done with the others. I will live with it a little while and see what it wants me to do.






The other challenge I have given myself, in light of my recent posts, is to see f I can paint something without using purple! I had a canvas I wasn't happy with, so I painted over it and didn't use purple.


This is still wet, so clearly we are talking another WIP here, too. It is 30" x 40" deep, gallery wrapped canvas in acrylics. I am focusing on not pulling out any of those purples I have hanging around the studio until it is done. I will let you know when it is.

6 comments:

Todd Camplin said...

I am so glad you revisited the flower images. I like your third abstract as well. It has a Mark Rothko/Barnett Newman feel.

Andrea and Kim said...

Thanks Camplin... I am a Rothko fan, so maybe that is it! As always thanks for visiting and your input.

San said...

Again, I really enjoy your description of your process.

That takes guts--to avoid a certain color you're in the habit of using. Been there, done that. It can be rather emotional. I still want to post about that topic. You've gotten my wheels spinning, Kim.

I'm enjoying those filmy effects you're getting with the rice paper. But there's a certain assertiveness in the third piece--the "unpurple" one, which is very appealing too.

Keep on breaking that new ground...

Andrea and Kim said...

Thank you San. I am glad the process is interesting.

Oh, I have to say it has been a real challenge for me to ignore any purple hue in that painting, but I am determined to do this. It is good to know you have been in that place, too. I have to say it makes me question so many more things...artistically and otherwise. I am eagerly watching your blog for your color post! It is a great subject.

I do like the rice paper effects. There is a challenge in giving up some control in the surface of what you "think you want to do". I will be doing something with the third one, but I am still living with that.

I really, really more comfortable doing paintings like the "unpurple" one...from a design standpoint...so I am glad you find that appealing.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means a great deal to me.

The Artist In Me said...

I really like this piece. Purple is my fav color as well. However, surprisingly, I don't use it a lot in my painting. Who knows what that is about :)

Andrea and Kim said...

Ah, thank you so much, artist! I have kind of been on a color jag lately. Maybe I need to do like Philip Edson (see his link on Jan. 14) and get rid of color all together, but this last piece is about to kill me without any purple, so no color at all would probably do me in. :) And I am not interested in that right now!

My guess is you just want to hold on to that purple all for yourself! What do you think?

Thanks so much for stopping by...I hope you come by often.