Monday, March 24, 2008

Exciting Times

Untitled, 18 x 24 Acrylic on deep, gallery wrapped canvas.

This is an old painting which I have never really shown people. Up to today I just was not sure about it. Today it shows you just the energy I have been feeling over the weekend! Let me tell you what happened.

On Friday, my very schedule driven husband wanted to toss everything up in the air and "fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants" for the evening. He didn't want a real dinner, but just some nice snacks and wine! This is totally unlike him, but I thought he was just feeling festive because it was a holiday weekend. He didn't have any time off, but it seemed like he was feeling good about the weekend in general. For me, I thought...."whatever!" It had been a busy day with the door bell ringing several time, the phone ringing and trying to get some of these "snacks" together for the evening. We were sitting around kind of doing our own kind of thing here and the door bell rang AGAIN! I said, "Steve, please get that I am so tired of that thing ringing." So he gets up and goes to the door. The next thing I know he is saying, "Kim, you must come here and help me!" I thought, 'what now?'

So off I go to the door and who was there? My daughter! Yes, she had spent all day getting here from California (a trip she, my son and my husband had been planning since Christmas)! I was so shocked, I didn't think I could stand up! I miss her so much being so far away. She has been here 3 days now (and gets to be here a few more before going back to school), and I can still hardly believe it! So this painting kind of shows you how I am feeling...just excited and over the top with joy...like fireworks going off all the time!

I know you all have seen where she has posted on this blog from time to time. And I understand if you can't comprehend how excited I am feeling to have her here. I know I do not talk too much about my personal life here and promise not to get into that, but this surprise will have an affect on my postings here the first of the week. So I wanted to let you know I will respond to each and every comment here...it may just take me a bit longer to get back to you.

I have a feeling this experience will show itself in a painting before long. So for all of you who have commented on me staying on track...I may be showing you how that isn't always true for me.

So today, tell me how something special has affected your work. This life of creativity we lead is not a linear one to be sure...I like to call it a web. What do you call it?

Now I also want to remind you...tomorrow I will be having another conversation with an incredibly talented artist. I know you are going to not only enjoy the conversation I have with Barbara Wilson, but you are going to learn a great deal. It will be very exciting and insightful.

14 comments:

~Babs said...

I just call it a journey, and of course the Joy Is In The Process.

This painting you've posted depicts the joy you felt when seeing Eliabeth on your doorstep, just as though you had painted it that night!
"Celebration" a crowd of people,,fireworks,,,the whole sha-BANG effect! Really great painting, Kim!

Paula In Pinetop said...

Happy, happy day !

Nothing is better than seeing a child at your door.

Have fun, you lucky dog !

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi Babs!

Tomorrow will be so very exciting! Ah...I keep thinking people are going to love this!

It is like a Celebration! Oh, I am still overwhelmed she is here! We are all together and that feels so good!

Thanks!

Andrea and Kim said...

Thank You Paula!

I sure am the lucky dog! I am going to have to agree with you about that...nothing is better than seeing a child at your door! Amen Sister! :)

Thanks Again!

Unknown said...

Dear Kim, I love your story about this weekend, and I can so understand what your daughter's visit means to you.

And you know what, I can't believe it: I opened your blog telling myself that normally you don't blog on weekends but perhaps today you did. Then I saw this painting and, before reading anything about it, I clicked on it to see it big.
I thought: oh. These are people. Many many people. People watching fireworks going off....!!!!

Well, next think I read you post, about your husband wanting snacks, your daughter knocking on the door and your joy about it:) and your sentence: over the top with joy...like fireworks going off all the time:)

I just love how your mind works,
love
andrea
PS say hello to your daughter, and I'll talk to you tomorrow, on our special day:)
big hug

Lynette said...

Omigosh Kim, what a fantastic surpise for you!!! Yep, there is nothing better than being with your child, no matter how old they get or how far they live from you! Have a glorious time with her and I'm so happy for you, I can feel the excitement in your post and in that gorgeous painting too! I see colorful pieces of candy, especially candy canes in this!

Daphne Enns said...

That is a great painting! It reminds me of all of the amazing creatures deep down in the ocean...

Kim Hambric said...

Kim, I had tears in my eyes reading about the arrival of your daughter. My daughter is only 6, yet I know one day she will go off on her own. I hope she will return willingly once she is grown. She is a great part of my art.

p.s. I know a name is only a name, but I do find it a bit humorous that your husband's name is Steve and your daughter is Elizabeth. In my family, it is Kim, Steve and daugher Lily (named after my husband's great aunt Elizabeth who was called Lily).

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi Andrea,

Here it is not a national holiday...it is a religious holiday, so that doesn't mean a weekend kind of day!

I have to tell you though it was our special day which brought Elizabeth in! Oh what a surprise!

Thanks Andrea!

Andrea and Kim said...

Thanks Lynette! I am so excited!

Andrea and Kim said...

Thanks Daphne! It is different but now I know why I have kept it!

Andrea and Kim said...

Ah Kim, she will come home happily one day! It is glorious when it happens, too.

Funny about the names....I also have a Jonathan who is a real sweetheart!

It has been a very special weekend, to be sure!

San said...

WOW! What a beautiful surprise. And that painting, all tingly and red, does fit.

And Kim, I believe "web" is just perfect for that matrix we're enmeshed in. The way everyday life enters and affects us is beautiful.

Your daughter--such a sweetheart. Enjoy the blessing of her presence, friend.

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi San! It has been an incredible long weekend, to be sure! I don't have to tell you what something like this means, though. I had to put her on a plane this morning :(, and she will soon be landing in Los Angeles - going to classes tonight! But the time with all 4 of us together has been incredible. I am glad you feel the painting was the right visual expression for what I was feeling!

Web - well, I sometimes get these ideas in my head and thinking in a web is one of those (along with women being vessels and that is why we like items which hold things). You are so right, "The way everyday life enters and affects us is beautiful." (That deserved being said again and deserves a place on my inspiration board.)

Thank you so much, San!