Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Taught Process

First things first today. I apologize to any of you who have come here to read my post and it was not here this morning. My internet connection (along with my cable television...big political news here in the US today...and my land line telephone) was out for six and a half hours this morning. Of course, it had to go out at seven o'clock!





But I thought you might like to see a thinking process I was taught in design school oh, so many years ago. Please forgive the quality of the images here...these are old and I did not want to take them out of the protective sleeves for who knows how well they would hold up. Do not forget you can click on the images to see and read them clearer.

could an idea be an undulating line of points on a page that will eventually drop off the page and out of the brain? or does it stay?

or maybe an idea is where two (or more) thoughts merge and remain stable

here is one idea that is simple and some may say obvious

the idea, like the circle, can lead us in many ways. We can follow it down the river...

...we refer to as life. Can a circle, itself, be a path? An unproductive one, maybe, or...
...possibly a productive one, such as a labyrinth. The circle is a core form which living and life can spring.
It can be the source and the nurture of the ones who experience it's power.

Consider the center of the home...must it always be the middle? Here I bring an idea...




So you can see this is a different way to approach solving a "design" issue. What? You want to know what this project was about? I was designing a door-less shower, but that was a lot more drawing. I thought you might like to see from where I come. Preparing these types of "thinking" preliminary sketches along with words was very common...a lot of bridging!



Have you ever experienced working in a different way like this, that you know carries over to the work you do now?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Kim, I just loved to follow your thoughts and creative thinking here, it is like the second step after a brainstorming session. Thanks for sharing with us where you come from! This way of approaching ideas can be applied to everything, at least that is what I think. I love the idea of the center not being in the center!
With regard to youe question: In my sketchbook I often practise mindmapping for a new painting, or a textile project or a drawing project. The mindmapping is in words, I begin with a central word, and put associated ideas around it, and also in images. It is a creative path. Which carries me to further ideas or images.
Thanks for this great inspiring post,
have a wonderful day (what isleft of it)
Andrea

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi Andrea, I haven't thought of this being like the step after brainstorming, but you are so right. It is interesting I can find myself thinking like this in a lot of ways. I do a lot of journaling, too, and things like this come out a lot. Things like the center not being the center just kind of comes out when you use a process like this.

I love to mindmap and also find it to be helpful when having a huge project in front of me...or even when thinking about things like where I want my life to go, etc. Do you mindmap in color...like color code particular paths on the map?

Thanks Andrea for you insights here. I know you have a strong design background, too, and I can often see the parallels in thinking although the results are very different! :)

~Babs said...

What an INTERESTING, thought provoking post! So much to think about,,,,!
I never dreamed that the design field worked this way, being completely uninformed!
My only experience that relates, is in color mapping. Determining what colors work well with others to accomplish what I hope to achieve.I usually don't do a lot of sketching,,,but always a lot of laying down of colors on scrap,,,(paper or canvas) that often get used in other projects.

fiona long said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I like the use of visual language.

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi Babs! Yes, color mapping is the same kind of thought process. I love pure design thinking, so this appeals to me...and I use it in my personal journaling.

Hey Babs! I like the way you think...clearly a color person!

Thanks for visiting me.

Andrea and Kim said...

Hi Fiona! Designers are really different kinds of thinkers than artists, don't you think? I find it interesting to take a look at how my design experience influences my art and how the thinking process has changed and what remains.

Thanks so much for visiting me here today, Fiona!

San said...

Hi Kim,

What a wonderful post--thank you for sharing your idea drawings. They are delightful simply as drawings, and their speculative aspects are rich indeed.

Andrea and Kim said...

It always helps me to evaluate how I am thinking and I always appreciate conversations about how others think through things. Anyway one looks at it, this education of mine has a lot of impact on the work I now do.

Do you find that is true for you when you learn about the artist who are in your gallery?

Lynette said...

Kim, this is a very thought provoking and wonderful post!!

Andrea and Kim said...

Thanks Lynette! It is just a different way of thinking. For me, 'ways of thinking' is an interesting subject.

As always, Lynette, your comments are so appreciated.

San said...

Kim, although I love reading artists' statements and of course talking to artists, what works best for me is to live with the art, let it work on me. And of course, I learn much from the comments of visitors to the gallery. They often see things I don't. It's great!